Sunday, September 6, 2009

Back to School Shopping

So, shopping today was like Christmas shopping in September. The stores were insane! And obviously I was insane for being out in them.

The girls had a couple of gift cards to use, so I foolishly took them out when I went shopping for groceries. It's been a long time since I took the kids grocery shopping. Usually, that's been peach's and my time out without the kids. As unexciting as that sounds, it's been our thing to do together.

So off we went, peach, pudge, gingo and I. We decided we'd shop for the clothes before the groceries. Gingo is just like me; very indecisive. She found lots of stuff that she liked, but wanted to keep looking just in case she found something better. I couldn't keep pudge away from the summer clearance clothing. She wanted to look at tank tops and flip flops. I told her I wasn't spending money on summer clothing as we were heading into fall.

I had been telling the girls all morning that I couldn't afford to buy them anything more than a pair of pants and a top to start school. Constantly cautioned them that if they bugged for more, they'd end up with nothing. Well, they were really good; I was the one who kept saying "oohh, look at this!" or "try this one on." In the end, after all was said and done, we spent over $200 on back to school clothes for the 2 of them. Their gift cards amounted to less then $20. George and Lou were working today, but I'm sure it'll hit the fan when they find out their sisters went out and bought new clothes while they got nothing.

After 3 stores for clothes shopping, we hurried to make the 3 stores we had to get to for grocery shopping. I was stressed, and now I'm pooped. The girls are thrilled with their new stuff. Peach and I both got a big hug and kiss from each of the girls and I 'thank you' which I appreciated. Sometimes I feel they get so much, that it's not truly appreciated. It meant a lot to me that they took that 30 seconds to acknowledge something they hadn't been expecting.

As stressed as I was, I also enjoyed the experience. As my girls get older, I know they'll need me less for things like shopping for clothes and won't always want my input or company.

I'll take what I can now, and enjoy it while it lasts.

No comments: